By Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage
From "a soiled hand":
Words are very robust. you are not convinced of that? consider the whole lot you will not say.
- Wonderful comment in a be aware I had this week from William Carlos Williams. He observed the "disease" of eager to write poetry; stated he were "off" poetry for lots of months and—he said—"I suppose fresh and unhappy."
- One reason behind holding this sort of workstation: you could wear list the retort you could not contemplate ultimately night's party.
- Photographs of Henry James in his center years may be commented upon. long past is the shy aesthete of the younger portrait (by LaFarge?) . This bearded guy has a fierce glance, even a bestial one. here's perhaps-I do not know-James at his such a lot generative. back this guy disappears within the shaven, bald, ultimate James, the recognized James—the Grand Lama.
- I spotted while Lindsay (thirteen) learn aloud a passage from a searching ebook the opposite day he mentioned "genital" as "genteel." i might like to see a literary historical past titled "The Genital Tradition."
- Contrast "business ethics" and the ethics of paintings. not anyone writes a poem hoping it is going to put on out in 4 or 5 years.
Between 1951 and 1966 the prestigious American poet Winfield Townley Scott saved a chain of notebooks during which he set down his concepts on poetry, literature, the literary scene, and existence often. almost immediately ahead of his premature demise in 1968 he made a range of the entries he concept have been top and gave it the identify "a soiled hand." those perceptive notes, a few tart, a few light, a few boisterous, a few wistful, supply us a outstanding perception into the workings of his artistic brain. George P. Elliott has stated of Scott: "In a really sturdy approach, i believe he was once as rock-bottom American a poet as we now have had for the reason that Frost." The advent is by way of Scott's buddy Merle Armitage, who additionally designed the unique variation of this book.
Read Online or Download a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott PDF
Best asian american literature books
Ensayo del año 2011 en eltema Estudios de América - Literatura, Nota: thirteen, Université Catholique de Louvain (Faculté de philosophie, arts et lettres), Materia: Théorie et examine de textes littéraires hispano-américains, Idioma: Español, Resumen: l. a. muerte de Artemio Cruz, novela mexicana escrita en 1962 por Carlos Fuentes, cuenta l. a. vida de Artemio Cruz, un hombre poderoso y rico, desde su lecho de muerte.
Diplomarbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Amerikanistik - Literatur, notice: 1,6, Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg (Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik), a hundred and twenty Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Gegenstand dieser Arbeit ist es, die Elemente der gothic culture, oder auch gothic parts genannt, in Kurzprosawerken von Edgar Allan Poe zu untersuchen.
Alachua County�s African American ancestry contributed considerably to the area�s historical past. Onceenslaved pioneers Richard and Juliann Sams settled in Archer as early as 1839. They have been former slaves of James M. Parchman, who journeyed throughout the desert from Parchman, Mississippi. They and others formed the county�s heritage via innovations, schooling, and paintings ethics in accordance with spirituality.
In opposed to the Closet, Aliyyah I. Abdur-Rahman interrogates and demanding situations cultural theorists' interpretations of sexual transgression in African American literature. She argues that, from the mid-nineteenth century during the 20th, black writers used depictions of erotic transgression to contest well known theories of id, pathology, nationwide belonging, and racial distinction in American tradition.
- Jewish Writings
- A Tyrannous Eye: Eudora Welty's Nonfiction and Photographs
- Lakeland: African Americans in College Park (Images of America)
- Programmatic Presentations in the Songs of African American Female Singers
Extra resources for a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott
a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott by Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage